[pianotech] adjusting jack position under knuckle

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:47:57 MDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for your ideas on the Kimball key situation.  It turned out fine. The guy was able to get it open, but not sure now he did it.  I'm working on finding a replacement hammer for him.  Fortunately the school has spare parts, and I hope they can find one that will work.

Today I went to tune a Bechstein B88 grand.  Grand regulating well all regulating is something I'd love to have more exposure to and additional practice.  In this case two keys when played hard and fast don't repeat, the hammer gets jammed. Repetition lever height is OK.  I'm thinking jack position with the knuckle is off.  So I took the tool and placed it in between the two wood dowels that adjust let off? The problem is once I get the tool in there the rail that the hammer flanges are screwed to, the hamer flange rail? obstructs the process. The tool touches the screw, but the rail keeps me from raising it so tha tI can place it on the screw in order to make the adjustment.  There isn't enough clearence.  Is there something I can do rather than take the wippen out adjust the jack position reapplly it only to have to readjust it again?  I wsh I could draw a picture of what is happening.  The screw, well technically it isn't a screw that adjusts the jack position is so long it is hard to get past when you go inbetween the dowels.  I pull the tool back a little so I can raise it upward so that I can go in and place it on the screw head which in this case feels like a smal blade to a regular screw driver.  The rail prevents me from bringing th e tool high enough.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks and I hope everyone here has a great 4th
Marshall
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com