[pianotech] Hammer return spring cord replacement advice sought

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jul 1 10:45:19 MDT 2012

What you need is Flange Cord (not to be confused with Loop Cord). Flange
Cord is available from the supply houses. It has an outer braided sheath
covering inner strands.  You need to make a hard point to be able to
push it through the flange holes and spring coil.

The procedure is to cut off about 20cm or a little more (8 inches
approx).  Peel back the braided outer cover on one end, for about 2cm
(3/4 inch).  Cut off the inner strands.  Then pull the outer braid back
up, now hollow for 2cm.  With a little glue (PVA or whatever), work the
glue into the now-hollow end of the outer braid. Work it into a point.
Leave it to harden.

You can now use this hardened end to start the cord. Push the hard end
through the flange hole, the spring coil, and out through the other side
of the flange.  Pull the cord through to the loose end, leaving a
millimeter or so sticking out.  Cut the protuding rough end neatly flush
with a razor blade, and cut off the rest of the cord on the other side
too.  You now still have the rest of the cord, with its hard "leading"
end, ready for the next flange.

The cord really is the best thing for the job.  Sometimes people
improvise with cocktail sticks etc, but they can generate noise. A
varient sometimes encountered, is where bushing cloth goes right through
the flange and spring coil, and a centre pin runs through the middle.

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk