[pianotech] glue and screws - was Wood? - straightening...

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 10:25:38 MDT 2012

O.K.. I can appreciate that epoxy and old glues don't mix....... but TitebondIII? I've found it to stick astonishingly well to everything, including pants that have been washed 100 times since extensively slobbered with it during a player piano side-regluing. (I was on my back under the piano.) And it has the water in it needed to melt old hide glue, a bit. If someone has had direct experience with this alleged non-adhesiveness, or can direct me to serious documentation (in Fine Woodworking, perchance?) that it works less well than new hide glue on old, I'll be more fully convinced.

Regards,
Thumpe

P.S. To Joe --- concerning piano case nomenclature: I've always referred to those parts of a piano as its "cheeks", but after describing my repair problem with a long-time tech ( who will remain nameless) who could not figure out what I was referring to, he said "Do you mean the "arms"?" , which term I "picked up" and then passed on to you. (My apologies.)