[pianotech] Screws was Wood? (Straightening of.)

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun Jul 1 07:04:35 MDT 2012

Thump,

< I remember when I first went to the hardware store to replace a
vintage, Made in USA screw (with a bunged-up slot) with a modern one,
only to find that its "steel" replacement wei
weighed only 1/2 as much!!! (What do they do, make these things
"Air-Puff&#39;d" or something?) After 6 such screws broke off while
trying to screw and glue a cover board back to the maple back post
assembly in an upright, I switched to the star-drive deckers.

You can get good screws these days...you just gotta pay for them. For
strength, sheer resistance and ease of driving, I've switched to
http://www.mcfeelys.com/ for many applications including bridge to
soundboard.  They are not threaded all the way to the head, so there is
a clear, free, one-step pilot hole in the piece being screwed down. Deep
threaded, straight shank..all in my opinion a great improvement over the
vintage items. As well there are a whole raft of specialty application
threads, shanks and heads.

I've bagged drywall screws since they are a complete crap shoot in my
opinion, and though I have 'em, I only use them for some short term shop
jigs and other non-picky applications...like...say drywall....(that is,
when I actually have the bad judgement to actually hang a board of
drywall<G>).  The lack of sheer resistance is my main complaint with
these suckers, as their design was never intended for structural
work...only jus' hang'in dry'all.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio