[pianotech] Upright Key Weighting

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Jan 19 09:32:28 MST 2012

Hi, Floyd.

I've done this several times with good results. I would try the clips
first, because you probably will be happy with the result. Also, though
you could achieve the static downweight with mass at almost any
location, adding the mass to the hammer gives the most natural feel,
because the hammer is the part the player is trying to control, and the
proportionality of the response at all different rates of acceleration
makes the most intuitive sense to the player.

I put the clip on with the opening toward the string. This helps keep
the clip tight against the shank, because when the hammer strikes the
string and the shank suddenly stops, the momentum of the clip tends to
keep it going, tightening it.

The only problem is whether there is enough shank showing above the rest
rail for the clip, without the clip holding the shank off the rest felt.
If not, you will have to adjust lost motion and/or possibly the rest
rail's resting position. You might want to remove the rail for ease of
installation.

You could offer your client the idea that the clips are a quick and easy
way to try to achieve the desired result, that is easily and quickly
reversible if they don't like it. If they do like it, you could offer
to, after a trial/proof period, remove the clips and add permanent
weight to the hammers by the usual methods, but so far, for me, everyone
has been happy with the clips, and has chosen to not bother with the
last step.

Small binder clips are too large to grip the shank. The size clip I use
is the Mini, which is snug on the shank and weighs about 1 gram, adding
about 5 grams to the downweight, just enough that they will feel it, but
not so much that one is already too much. You can use two or even three,
but as they accumulate toward the butt center, the effective weight
added diminishes. You can get 'em by the 100 at the big box office
supply stores, I would take at least 200 in case they want more
immediately.

~Mark Schecter