[pianotech] Grand Backcheck Geometry

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 29 06:39:07 MST 2012

> So that sounds like the specifications are empirical not something
> you can easily predict on paper.

Actually, it seems to be pretty dependably predictable unless you change
something radically.

>So that brings up the second
> question:
>
> The 72degcheck face

(how'd you do that degree sign)

Like this °. <G> It's alt 248 on this list, and won't work at all on the
new, devolved "system".

, 2-1/2"-3" rad
> tail, back check head height 1mm below tail at letoff, 1" min
> tail...are these specs that work on "standard" 17"-19" length
> keysonly  (call it 8-1/2"-9-1/2" back lever)?  What about a shorter
> back lever, with its smaller radius at the backcheck? ALthough "D's"
> go the other way and have longer  key lengths than 17-19, so maybe
> that shouldn't change things that much?

While there are an infinite number of things I haven't actually tried, I
don't see how it will make any difference. It's still not a matter of
intersecting arcs. By the time checking occurs, the key had
theoretically (yea, I know, but resist it) quit moving. A long key that
has quit moving is very similar to a short key that has quit moving in
that the back check is positioned where it belongs (if adjusted within
the already established criteria) in relation to the hammer assembly
when the hammer tail hits it. It doesn't matter where it's been or how
it got there. Where it's at at the point of check is where it's at.
Ron N