[pianotech] Grand Backcheck Geometry

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Feb 28 18:28:37 MST 2012

Is there someone who could explain the actual geometry, ie intersecting
arcs that are necessary to achieve optimal grand backchecking.

There is lots of info regarding tail length/radius, height of check in
relation to the hammer at various points in the stroke, etc, offered as
a "prescription" for good checking.  But I' trying to understand the
actual geometry that will achieve good checking, ie the shape of the
backcheck face, what the actual geometry of the two meeting faces
optimally are (radiused tail and backcheck cushion) in relation to the
arcs the backcheck and tail are swing in. Also obviously how these arcs
are effected by  varying amounts of key dip.

Maybe the geometry I'm asking for is actually a graduate course in
calculus, and the "prescriptions" being empirical explanations of what
seems to work?

The reason I ask is I have been stymied by 2 unsusual actions of late,
actions which don't adhere to normal string heights or key lengths, and
am having trouble applying the "prescriptions".  I don't like flying
blind, and though my drawing in autocad might get me there, that the
optimal mating face of the tail/cushion are seem to be something other
than what I thought was obvious (I think).

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com