[pianotech] Adding weight to Wurly Console action/keys

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Feb 25 08:11:48 MST 2012

Wow, those are very interesting concepts.  I know I am preaching to the
choir here, but would that modern manufacturers would be as experimental
as western makers of a century ago.

I assessed an 1890s Collard & Collard parallel strung upright for a
retired couple today, and was struck by the sheer elegance of some of
the shapes, in particular the bass bridge apron, and the balance
hammer.  It was a bridle tape action, not a spring & loop, but with very
long jacks.  I'd have liked to take some photos, but didn't care to
presume, when it wasn't a regular customer and I was only appraising.
They may or may not decide to go ahead with tuning and the little
repairs it needs.

The idea of adding mass as a means to improve response is intriguing.

Best regards,

David
www.davidboyce.co.uk