[pianotech] Adding weight to Wurly Console action/keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 20:17:51 MST 2012

Del,
I think you missed my point, just a bit. If the piano, in question, were an
Ivers & Pond or Mason & Hamlin Upright, then I could see the justification.
On a Wurlitzer?
Of course, I'd be the first to say: If the client is willing to throw money
at me/the piano, who am I to refuse it."<G>
I do agree to all that you say as improving the playability with those
additions. I've done them and seen the good results. It's a lot of labor,
that should have been done at the factory, but we all know that is not the
real world.<G>
I must say it's nice to know that there are others that are as crazy as I,
in this regard.
Best,
Joe

Adding
> mass to the wippen body does improve the touch and feel of the vertical
> action. The wippen better tracks the motion of the key--indeed, as Dean
> wrote, the whole function of the action is improved. And it doesn't take
> much. It also helps, if there is room, to add a bit of mass to the
catcher.
> And, of course, back off on the hammerbutt return springs.
>
> If you really want to get fancy go one step further and add some mass to
the
> damper heads and back off on those springs as well.
>
> ddf
>
> Delwin D Fandrich
> Piano Design & Fabrication
> 6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
> Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
> del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com

Behalf