[pianotech] Adding weight to Wurly Console action/keys

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Feb 24 20:02:53 MST 2012

Not really, Joe. I've experimented with both and simply weighting the keys
does not do the same thing. It has long puzzled me why we laud the grand
action because its return is gravity driven and then we work to take as much
mass as possible out of the upright wippen. And hammerbutt, for that. Adding
mass to the wippen body does improve the touch and feel of the vertical
action. The wippen better tracks the motion of the key--indeed, as Dean
wrote, the whole function of the action is improved. And it doesn't take
much. It also helps, if there is room, to add a bit of mass to the catcher.
And, of course, back off on the hammerbutt return springs.

If you really want to get fancy go one step further and add some mass to the
damper heads and back off on those springs as well.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com