[pianotech] High tension, low tension?

lim hock seng limhseng at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:54:32 MST 2012

Thank you very much Del.

On 23-Feb-2012 2:53 PM, "Delwin D Fandrich" <del at fandrichpiano.com> wrote:

1) Unless you know the design you have to measure. There is obviously no
clear line here. Generally I consider a piano with scaling tensions below
160 lbf (72.5 kgf) through the tenor section to be low-tension scales.
Those with scaling tensions above 180 lbf (81.5 kgf) are high-tension
scales. Many existing piano scales are more-or-less in the middle and many
are a mix of both.****

** **

In addition to knowing if a given scale has high or low tensions, it is
useful to know how a scale gets those tensions. That is, does it have long
and thin strings or short and thick strings? Each will have a different
tone characteristic.****

** **

2) In the best of all worlds each different scale type would be matched to
a different soundboard and rib scale and the piano would use hammers
selected to match the scaling and the soundboard design. To look at just
the extremes, a piano with a long low-tension scale will work best with a
light, relatively flexible soundboard and light, resilient hammers. A piano
with a short high-tension scale will work best with a heavier, relatively
stiffer soundboard assembly and denser, more massive hammers.****

** **

ddf****

** **

(Just a short plug for the upcoming PTG Convention—I’ll be presenting an
all-day seminar on this topic including demonstrations of various scale
types on my string test fixture.  —ddf)****

** **

** **

Delwin D Fandrich****