[pianotech] regluing loose hammer felt-CAUTION about CA glue

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:05:30 MST 2012

I just found this in the MSDS information on CA glue and thought I
would share it with all of you. I have glued hammers successfully with
CA glue but this gave me pause and I am not sure I will continue to
use it. I like Weldbond just as much though it is slower.

Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as
cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a
powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause
serious burns[17], ignite the cotton product, or release irritating
white smoke. Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct
users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves,
when applying or handling cyanoacrylates.[18]

Also, there was a posting about using a filter mask that filters out
Ammonia gas and other chemicals  and was going to be used for
cyanoacrylate. The CA fumes may not be filtered out by this cartridge.
Check the package carefully when purchasing fume filters. There are
many types for different chemicals. The ones with a magenta color code
will filter out cyanide and many other organic chemicals and may be a
better choice. Cyanoacrylate fumes are classified as an irritant and
an allergen. They can cause you to develop an allergic sensitivity
that will result in skin eruptions and possibly lung allergies causing
shortness of breath. If you are prone to chemical allergies, use
caution. Ventilation with a blower or vacuum with the exhaust going
outside or far away from you might be better than a fume mask. You can
perhaps protect your lungs with a fume mask of the right type,  but
not your skin or eyes which are still exposed.

CA glue is a great product but too much of a good thing .... you know.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Veterinary pathologist too