[pianotech] Repinning/pinblock replacement.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 14 01:56:21 MST 2012

Chuck asked:
"Joe, I've got a related situation I would appreciate your expertise on. I
don't (thankfully) work on many Asian pianos, but I was just called out to
a home in Des Moines to look at a Hamilton grand still under guarantee with
loose pins. My observation was that all the pins were uniformly loose -
averaging 15 inch pounds or so, but without any significant variation one
way or another. My best guess was that the drill bit was a bit dull, heated
up, and drilled the holes a little on the big size - therefore loose pins.
I told the factory representative that in my opinion, replacing the factory
pins with oversize pins would yield a good result.

Another tuner called in to give a second opinion recommended a whole new
pinblock, pins and strings. Long story short, the rep wants me to do the
work recommended by the second technician and is going to proceed with the
replacement of the whole works (I quoted a price for the total job which
was approximately 3.5X times that of repinning alone). I've been feeling
that it's overkill - I'll do the job but I've thought it was more than what
was needed.

In your thinking, maybe it's a good thing to take the factory pinblock out?
Just curious. I'll feel better if I know the work I'm doing on the piano is
beneficial. Or maybe I should just take the bigger paycheck and not worry -
it's not like I pushed anyone into this decision - just the opposite."

Chuck,
I think I would try CAing the whole block and see what that will produce in
torque. Not knowing where that sucker was actually built and not having
seen any of Baldwin's products for a while, I have no idea about this
thing. IF the CA doesn't bring it up, then I'd definately replace the block
and restring with new wire all around. The CA failure would tell me the
pinblock was suspect and I wouldn't want to bet the farm on using oversized
pins with the existing wire, etc. Too many variables for my taste. I trust
my installation of a new block.<G> The lovely part is that there are
Phillips screws in that sucker, which will not be an easy in/out thang.
BTW, what I'm finding with CA, is IF it works, the torques stay pretty much
the same for the several years I've been using the stuff. It salvaged an
English Overdamper Piano that I'd put Pin Tite in over 20 years ago. It's
one of those situations where the client absolutely loves the piano and
refuses to change anything. If it stays reasonably in tune, she's a happy
camper. Uses it a lot too! Go figger.<G> Straight strung w/a goofy action
and all of those English trappings to go with.
That's the best I can offer.
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.