[pianotech] Music Sorb humidity control

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 12 12:52:06 MST 2012

Hi, Richard:
I have sold some of this stuff some years ago, and I just sold some more to a guy who rents a piano in Hawaii.  He had good results keeping the piano from rusting and other related problems.  As far as a head-to-head comparison to damppchasers, I can't say.  There is a limit to their absorption, and then you have to replace it or dry it out in a low oven.  The price has gone way up, in the damppchaser range with humidistat, since I got my first product many years ago.  I agree that it would work best in a sealed environment, as my rental client does with a giant Anvil case that houses his C-7 Yamaha.  Once I did an experiment with drum heads.  I put a drum with loose heads (rawhide) in a plastic trash bag along with the musicsorb.  Overnight it tightened the heads nicely.  It works, but you have to keep tabs on it if the area isn't sealed.  It's also used in guitar cases and other instrument cases to control moisture.  If you can't plug a damppchaser in, and you can keep the area sealed, it will work well.  I don't think there's anything that is emanated from it, as far as gases or anything.  It's just the same stuff as what's packed in camera bags as a dessicant.  Be careful not to open the container.  Don't ask!  Like  ball bearings everywhere!
Paul McCloud
San Diego