[pianotech] Steinway Actions - was Replacing dampers.......

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 14:47:22 MST 2012

Don said:
"These are superior old pianos, but most of them have been played to death
and yes, they often do need more action parts than can be economically
justified. Is there any source for less expensive parts? Dealers can buy
complete sets of hammers mounted on shanks and flanges for new asian pianos
for less than $200. Has anyone modified these old actions to accept standard
parts? The old V with the wooden damper lifters is the worst to work on..

I have 4 of these in my shop right now that I am trying to decide what to do
with."

Don,
Have you considered putting Fandrich actions in them? Darrell Fandrich's
action is the way to go! The first piano he modified was a Steinway.
Contact Darrell and get the straight scoop.
Tell him Joe sent you. Er...on the other hand, don't tell him that, he may
be inclined to charge you double or just give you a very hard time.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I