[pianotech] Ballistol/re:Douglas Gregg

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:36:36 MST 2012

Thos,
The discussion you missed was one that I believe I started about
stopping and/or removing rust from tuning pins and steel strings. I
made three suggestons and included photos of using Kleen Strip brand
or Permatex brand rust restorer to blacken rusty tuning pins and
coils. The other was to clean steel but not copper bass strings with
Ballistol and a ScotchBright pad. The rust comes off the steel strings
very easily using Ballistol gun oil. I get it from Midway USA gun shop
on line. It also has a very long lasting effect at preventing further
rust 9up to 25 years).  See the Ballistol web site for more
information about the many uses of this oil. I find it extremely
useful for freeing stuck or sluggish center pins also.
http://www.ballistol.com1_Ballistol%202010%20Amazing%20Story%20Flyer%20PROOF3.pdf
The last suggestion was using Zerust capsules inside pianos to prevent
future rust anywhere inside a closed case. I also use one inside my
string case. They are sold, as well, for tool boxes and tackle boxes.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY