[pianotech] Improvised Key bushing cauls

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:23:09 MST 2012

I usually send keys out to be rebushed, or to have new keytops installed.
But I had just acquired a console that I was going to sell too a local
client, when I discovered about half of the keys bushings had fallen
out. I checked all the other keys and the bushing were intact and looked
 good, so I decided to rebush the bad ones myself, but didn't have any cauls.

I looked around for little objects that that might suffice, and just by sheer
luck, I discovered that vagias plastic elbows were as close to
perfect as it gets! The snap-in end fit right down into the oval key
hole, and compressed the bushing felt with perfect snugness, and after
drying, and to my great relief, resulted in a perfect bushing job!

And
because I have a whole set of elbows, I had more than enough to do all
the bad keys in one go! The elbows are slightly tapered which makes them
 snugger the further down they are inserted, and also stop against the
bushing hole since they have a "t" shape about 3/4" up, very similar to actual cauls.

Cheers,

Terry "UniGeezer" Peterson
"Over 50, and not '2' Tired!"
www.unigeezer.com