[pianotech] blackening rusting tunning pins

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:26:08 MST 2012

ANY rust will be converted to a black polymer including rusted string
coils. I consider that a plus as it stops the rust on the coils. If
there are new strings on rusty pins as a replaced string the shiny
steel will not turn black nor the pressure bar if it is shiny metal
and/or nickel plated. Brass and aluminum are not affected either. No
problem with felt either.

The nice thing about the Klean-strip and Permatex rust converters in
the spray can is that overspray on other surfaces does not show at
all. Don't use Rustoleum brand and some others that have some black
pigment that will show. Putting the Rustoleum brand on  by hand with a
brush can be done but it takes a lot of time. That is why I like the
spray.

The Cable piano in the previously attached photos was sprayed with no
affect on the pressure bar or plate. I did shield some of the pins for
the comparison so you could see the before and after.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold,NY