[pianotech] Ridding tobacco smell from grand

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 21:47:25 MST 2012

Well,
    "The Piano Doc" recommends Johnson and Johnson "Scrubbing Bubbles" (in the green can) for filthy old pianos, but this seems more like a  specific tar contamination. Were it in my shop, I'd blast it with naptha in a spray gun at high pressure (well, outside of the shop) and scrub everything accessible with brushes, and mop up the mess with paper towels. (Paying special attention, of course, to areas that tar-laden fingers touch most --- like the keyslip.) I believe that the naptha would dissolve the tar, but not hurt anything. And if that didn't work, I'd try mineral spirits. But then leave the piano in a shed or something, 'til the solvent smell was gone.
(THEN I'd blast it with ozone.)

Best wishes!
Thumpe