[pianotech] filling screw holes!

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:32:25 MST 2012

Joe,

On the finished repair pic, I know they didn't match. Those were the screws
that were with it....maybe from a previous repair attempt.  I didn't have
matching screws the correct size on hand.  I always try to use the existing
screws when possible.  This was at a school where the piano got hard use and
this was not the only mismatched hardware on the piano.

I did use a zinc screw in the plain wood picture, but that was the first
screw I found laying around.

As far as the end grain, yes, you are right.  Short of cutting plugs with a
plug making tool (which I don't have, but ought to get), this was far
better, in my opinion and experience for most applications than filling the
messed up, "v"ed hole with toothpicks and/or shoepeg dowels.  I've seen
dowel used hundreds of times in different places to repair screw holes, and
I personally have not had issues with it.....yet.   HOWEVER, you are
absolutely correct, and they could eventually strip out in time if under
quite a bit of stress.  I will look into finding a plug cutter at a good
price, cut a bunch and keep them handy.

Suggestions on what type wood best for wood plugs?

Thanks!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com