[pianotech] the heated floor and the birdcage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 00:14:23 MST 2012

David B. said: "I found in fact that, while the unisons had certainly gone
a bit fruity,
there was no large overall change, and no section that had markedly
dropped. So today I did a proper pitch raise. I thought to aim for
A440, and the tenor and treble would have taken it, but I immediately
perceived when I started on the covered strings, that it was too risky;
there was that feeling of "tautness" and the first bichord string
broke. Thin-looking core wire too. Reflecting that the piano may well
have been made for A435, that's what I opted for, and the piano went
there quite happily (Proceeding with due caution and due Protek CLP on
rusty bearing points).

Time will tell as to how the tuning lasts, but the (obling dammit) pins
were quite tight. I did however rebel at the overdamper rail
overlapping half a dozen tuning pins, and filed grooves with a rasp I
took for that purpose. This piano cannot ever have had those notes
adequately tuned in its life, for I doubt if any tuiner ever took off
the overdaper rail and strip muted, and using the tuning lever tip to
lever the rail down makes it impossible to set the pin properly. What I
did admittedly wasn't pretty, but it worked.

The overdamper action has jacks with no heels. As on the last visit, I
had to replace one of the springs, a previous replacement that wasn't
working."

David,
the notches in the overdamper rail is necessary, a lot, in my world.<G>
Another way would be a small sanding drum in a hand drill. I use a 3/4" one
with easy and good results. Either that or bevel the backside of the rail
with a hand plane.
The age of that piano would, most certainly, dictate A=435cps.! Since I
could not see the upper bridge/vee bar/nut, I'm hoping that it was not
wood. It is not advised to "lubricate" with petroleum products on wood top
nuts. It makes the wood spongy and difficult to get stable. DAMHIK!!!<G>
It does sound like the little piano is liking it's newfound attention. Good
luck and God Speed.
Also, Thanks for the many pictures, even tho some are a bit "dreary".<G>
(Almost bleak.) I suspect it's gorgeous when, (if ) the sun shines.<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police