[pianotech] was GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 10:48:03 MST 2012

On 12/21/2012 11:30 AM, David Love wrote:
> The question was answered right here from my previous post.  Perhaps you
> missed it.  Your rib is 5 mm wider and 10 mm taller than mine to carry the
> same load.  You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can extrapolate that out to any
> other rib and I'm sure you can deduce that these two rib scales if carried
> through the entire piano with all else remaining the same would yield
> different tonal outcomes.  Our differences are primarily in the weight of
> the rib scale, secondly in the amount of the cutoff (mine tend to be smaller
> or non existent), I thin the panels, you don't, my radii are singular, not
> as tight, pressed into a slightly tighter caul radius than they are cut at
> 5.5%.  I've given you the way I load the board, even though you keep
> misstating it.  I've already outlined this in pretty good detail if you
> bothered to read it.  I'm not interested in posting an entire spreadsheet.

Yea, I've read most of that fifty times or so.

> You don't learn because you don't listen.
>
> Yes this is all done with real engineering, real formulas, real materials
> analysis.  No voodoo.
>

> Yours:  25 lb load, 770mm x 20W x 26H, and a 9M radius
> Mine:   25 lb load, 770mm x 15w x 16h, and a 9M radius
>
> (for approximately 50% deflection)

I read that too, and it's useless because your rib loads are calculated
on a false premise of equal distribution of load along the bridge, and
you went with the cutoff. Size rib #6 of 18, at 1090mm long, or 999mm,
or whatever is your personal preference at whatever load you calculate
and specify, and I'll have something informational for comparison.
Ron N