[pianotech] was GH-1s

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Dec 21 07:49:47 MST 2012

David wrote:

<While we evidently disagree on how narrow that range can be and still
be acceptable my goal is to make the range as wide as possible even at
the risk of being able to overdrive it slightly (emphasis on
"slightly"). And my standard for that is determined by what I believe
the piano literature actually calls for.

Nick Wrote:

<Thus it can be said that any safe and defensible compromises chosen
here by the artist-rebuilder is what will determine the range of
dynamics that should suit "what the piano literature actually calls for".

I've been following David's and Ron's exchange with interest.  While I
already had a good idea of Ron's design approach, I have a better way of
putting David's approach in a clearer context.

The quotes above point to the bottom line disclaimer any post or
anything any one of us of ever say regarding  piano sound should contain
in bold letters at the beginning of our posts;  that is, WARNING, the
following exposition and whatever design specifics it may contain,
reflect first and foremost my personal tonal biases.

I for one, explore Ron's side of the RC&S design spectrum very
specifically because of the the way it tends to sound. I love the sounds
I hear form these instruments . To my ear the sound quality is different
than any piano sound in the current mass marketplace, save for a very
few ultra high end instruments.

I have a problem with the quotes above claiming ownership of "what the
piano literature actually calls for", as they draw the nature of the
"piano literature" with a wide, wide singular brush stroke. As such, the
determination of what piano tone is appropriate to "the" literature, the
entire piano literature is presented as a singular entity, which is most
decidedly is not.

"What the piano literature actually calls for". What does that
mean?...specifics please.

Is Scarlatti the same as Liszt?
Is rock & roll the same as Debussy?
Is Bach the same as Monk?
Is Petruska really Tchaikovsky in disguise?
Is Schoenberg Prokofiev?
Is Gospel the same as the Goldbergs?
Is all Jazz the same?
Is the textural clarity of Mozart the same as thick texture of Scriabin?

My take...my bias...is most decidedly not...Not by a long shot. Each
style has particular aesthetic requirements.  Can any of this music be
played on any reasonable piano? Of course..I played all kinds of stuff
on a  worn out upright for years.

When I go to the national convention, the exhibit hall is filled with
great and varied pianos at the top of their game. The variety of piano
sounds and aesthetics is quite interesting.  As I sit down at each
piano, each and every piano suggests to me what music "it wants to
play".  Can it play other music? Sure, but each will excel at select
styles.

Yet  "what the piano literature actually calls for" reduces all this
variety to a singularity. How can this be?

I do know that if I go to New England Conservatory and listen to any
piano recital, you would in fact think that Beethoven and Rachmaninoff
are exactly the same thing...displaying either decided lack of
performance imagination...or is it that possibilities available on the
one flavor fits all concert instruments limits the imagination and the
technique?

Edwin Good's article "Pianos I Would Like to Hear and Play" in the may
2010 journal might be of interest in thinking about this question.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com