[pianotech] All points bulletin, or the case of the useless forstener bit

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Wed Dec 19 19:59:54 MST 2012

Calling all cars, calling all cars...be on the lookout for a specialty
drill bit, posing as a cutting tool. Suspect claims to be armed, but is
not dangerous, as it couldn't cut its way out of a paper bag. Answers to
the name "Forstener"...

Now really, I'm about to completely give up on Forstener bits. They
should useful for cutting clean semi-large holes, especially in masonite
and template stock, soundboard panels, etc, but they never live up to
their billing, except in a drill press. And then only in certain woods.
And then clog and burn before you can say boo. Does anybody get these
bits to behave reasonably?

So I try all the bits in the shop for drilling a clean hole in a
soundboard panel and masonite panel template. What comes up on top...a
sharp cheap-o Spade bit, with the panel backed-up.

How do others manage a clean hole in soundboard panels...hand held or
jig held?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio