[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 17:51:38 MST 2012

On 12/18/2012 6:18 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:
> David wrote:
>
> <I think it may be that what you heard in those pianos was a much lower
> tension scale. Those lower tension scales produce less power but
> stronger fundamental which can be heard as greater clarity, a simpler
> and warmer sound anyway. I have a customer with an 1850's Bosendorfer,
> wooden frame, very low tension. The piano lacks the power, of course, of
> a modern piano but has a certain warmth and character to it that is
> quite pleasing.
>
> Exactly my point. My hunch is that there is room here to experiment and
> try to find something akin to a hybrid zone. It ain't all the strings as
> we agree, but the strings are part of the puzzle.  I will continue to
> mess around with the problem.
>
> Jim Ialeggio

Plenty of room for experiment, that's for sure. I think you'll find
that, however low you take tensions, you'll need to pay attention to all
the other things you need to address at any other tension level. Break%
levels, smooth tension, impedance, etc transitions, rim bracing, and
soundboard impedance levels in different points in the scale. The lower
the tension, the lighter I expect you're going to want the bridges too,
as well as the soundboard assembly.

Ron N