[pianotech] interesting mic'd piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 21:51:18 MST 2012

I've tuned this piano a couple times now since they put in this (apparent)
sound pickup contraption. I've never seen such a thing elsewhere, and it
doesn't look like anything I've read about here. Piano is a Yamaha C2 in a
church, FWIW.

Is anyone aware of what sort of device they may be?

Thanks!
Paul,
Yeah,, it's a Barcus Berry Piano Pickup thang. Archaic as, like the 70's.
It does work, but has issues. When I find them in pianos, I politely tell
the sound guys to get some decent mikes and get that thing outamypiano!
They will scratch the soundboard and buzz and screw things up imo.  Had one
fall into the action and then they couldn't figure how to get it
out...broke several hammer shanks in the process! Yikes! And Sheesh!
So, have fun with that garbage.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police