[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 17 13:28:26 MST 2012

On 12/17/2012 1:56 PM, paul bruesch wrote:
> That impossible to tune as a unison/octave has been my experience as
> well. But why is it impossible? (Loaded question, I'm sure!)

I'll try to get as close as I can, hopefully without attracting a herd
of screaming binary absolutists. The lower the break% of a string, the
more reactive it is to minute tension changes. A string at 50% break
will take a dimensionally produced tension change (by either turning the
pin, or from dimensional changes of wood parts with humidity changes)
with only a slight detectable change in tuning. A string at 17% break,
given the same dimensional change, will produce a dramatically more
pronounced change in tuning. A high break% string has a wide target
tolerance, where a low break% string has a very narrow one. You just
don't have anything to work with tuning low break% strings. The partial
composition and spacing will be different too, but I don't have any real
data on that detail.

Ron N