[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Dec 12 12:27:56 MST 2012

What?! You've been WRONG?!  That's funny - so have I!  What a coincidence!

With regard to the sun heating us up:  I find it helpful to use this
analogy:  Imagine I am standing a little distance from you, and you are
lobbing great quantities of tennis balls at me, hard and fast.  When
they hit my skin, I experience pain, redness and irritation.  Medical
instruments can be used to measure the degrees of pain, redness and
irritation of the skin.  Now, you are not throwing pain, redness and
irritation at me; you are throwing tennis balls.  (Their number, mass
and velocity can be measured with instruments too, of course).

The pain, redness and irritation my skin undergoes, is the result of its
interaction with the tennis balls, not a property of the balls
themselves.  Imagine that instead of tennis balls, it was glass marbles,
and then steel ballbearings.  Thier effects might be more severe; heavy
bruising, maybe broken bones.

The sun constantly chucks out untold squillions of particles into space.
They are of various "sizes" and/or "weights" and are called Quanta.
Quanta also have wave properties.  Some of them, of particular
sizes/wavelengths, interact with our retinas to produce the phenomenon
we call Light. Those particular quanta are called Photons.  Many of the
particles from the sun interact with the matter of Earth and our bodies,
to excite molecules in a manner we call Heat.  That's how the sun heats
things up. "Heat" is not a form of energy in and of itself emanating
from the sun. (Nor is space, tho' very empty, quite entirely a vacuum).

The combined effect of all these particles shooting out of the sun at
186000 miles per second also exerts a pressure on the surface of the
earth. It's known as the Solar Wind.

Somehow we have moved from an old birdcage piano to Quantum Physics!

Best regards,

David.