[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Dec 11 08:41:54 MST 2012

Regarding a protocl to try and see whats happening in and around the
piano, I think measuring temp as a single quantity, as has been
suggested, would not be useful. Rather, RH measured right up at the
surface of the piano (what surfaces...there are so many....start with
soundboard?) and air flow across that surface would be required.
Further, my hunch, though I don't know how to physically run this test,
is that the important Rh is contained in a layer of air that is actually
extremely close, unto even a molecular layer of air right at the surface
of the wood. That is why fans are required for drying.

Keep in mind, air flow is a huge variable in this whole system. For
example, in our hot boxes, raise the temp but dont run the fan, and it
will take much much longer for the wood to equilibrate. Or take your
laundry and run it in the dryer with heat only, no fan. Come back 2 days
later and you will still be enjoying the luxurious feel of warm wet
underwear.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio