[pianotech] Trim and Moulding Glue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 09:00:47 MST 2012

David said:
"I've been using TB Trim and Molding glue for years now for hammers. I don't
find any downside to it. Joe, what do you mean about "chasing voicing". It
removes easily with a bit of heat. Forms nice collar, does everything it's
supposed to do, IMO.

I've found that it takes a really long time for it to get a Hard set, hence
the "voicing" comment. It does affect how the tone as it "hardens", imo.

Hide glue for felt, leather etc. is good but for gluing on hammers, I find
it's less trustworthy unless you are very careful about the proper
viscosity, has limited working time. I find more loose hammers from hide
glue than from TB Trim glue by far.

Probably because you are using Hide Glue of dubious quality. Or, not using
distilled water, (tap water has too many contaminants in it, for my
liking). Or you do not keep track of the temp as you are using it. Any/all
can give you bad results. IMO, of course.<G>

I do like Bolduc's glue for soundboards and bridge caps."

Talk to Dale Erwin about that stuff, as opposed to the "50" glue from
Franklin.
Joe

David"

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.