[pianotech] wagner safety planer drill speed

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 08:26:25 MST 2012

These are very good points.  But, how do you know if the last guy to replace the keytops cut them evenly?  I'd like to see a system that indexes to the key TOP, which should be the most reliable surface.  Often the bushings are protruding from the front mortise which prevents the key from sitting down solidly on the table.  Of course, clamping the key in a vise eliminates that problem.  Another consideration is, in the case of clamping in a vise is whether the key is warped so that there is a deeper cut in the back end than at the front.  I have often considered a jig with a surface above the key that would be used while clamping in a vise.  That way, one could assume that the entire surface of the key would be evenly cut.
As far as the sharpened bolt system is concerned, if one were to angle the clamp so that it provides some clamping force downward onto the jig, that might work better.  Or, use a swivel on the end of the piston, like are installed on C clamps, and glue some sandpaper on them to keep the key from sliding.
Another idea I had is to screw the bottom of the key to a narrow sheet of thin plywood or plexiglas which would then be used to ride on the table. A couple of slotted rails could be made for the plexiglas sled to ride in and guide it past any cutter or router bit you like.  Add a stop to it so that you'd have a consistent cut length to match the keytop.  Make another jig to hold the key and plastic in position while the screws are inserted.
FWIW.
Paul McCloud
San Diego