[pianotech] wagner safety planer drill speed

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Dec 7 06:40:06 MST 2012

Like many others I used a drill press vice set-up for years, but like
others, I find that from key to key there are variances in the squareness
of the key.  Shimming one side or the other became an "every-other-key"
endeavor.  Big time-waster.

I made a different clamping mechanism which works better.  I took a bolt
and sharpened the end to a point, ran it through a block of wood and
mounted it to a small platform.  The key rests on the platform, (which has
a stop at the front) and the point of the bolt contacts the side of the key
in the center of the head of the key.  To hold it in place, I mounted a
piston style toggle clamp with another sharpened end.  Hold the key down to
the sled securely, clamp with the piston.  The points penetrate the sides
of the head of the key, forcing it to stay flat on the sled.  The amount of
penetration is minimal, and only leaves a couple dimples.  This has worked
quite a bit better for me.

I've used the genesis jig before, but it did not clamp the keys squarely.
 The mechanism tended to tilt the keys.  I've thought now (after selling
it) that I could modify it to make a couple points and it would work
better, but.......

At any rate, I'm still not satisfied.  My primary objective is to keep the
key bottom flat on the sled.  The sides of the keys are not an accurate
reference to squareness from one key to the next, and therefore generally
don't make a good clamping surface, IMO.  Does anyone freehand the keys
under the Safe-T-Planer, just holding them to the drill press table with
hand pressure?

Attached a photo of my clamping set-up.

William R. Monroe