[pianotech] wagner safety planer drill speed

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 21:11:42 MST 2012

Don't know if you're addressing me or Chrisstor.
What I used is a sheet of melamine coated MDF (shelf) clamped to my drill press table.  I use a drill press vise to clamp the key and freehand it under the planer (I'm lazy).  The trick is in clamping the keystick, since the sides of the key aren't often square to the bottom in many cases, and the act of clamping them  tends to lift one side or the other.  I used some blue painters tape as shim material under the vise and a block of wood under the key to reference the underside of the key to the table.  (The block of wood is cut so it is a few thousandths less than the distance from the bottom of the key to the table)  If there is some tilting of the key in the vise, I'll be able to see that by looking carefully at the top of the block vs the key bottom.  I also have to be extremely careful to remove any sawdust from under the vise, or my cut will be too deep on the keytop surface.  DAMHIK.
I'm keen on this thread because I'd like to find a better way to do this.  Way too much eyeballing and whatnot.  The problem usually comes when the key is twisted, and you plane it at an angle by mistake, etc.  Bill Spurlock has a method of making a special table to use with a stop to keep the cuts all the same length as the new keytop.  Done right, it's like the keytop is inlaid.
Paul mcCloud
San DIego