[pianotech] Kimball spinet

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:08:08 MST 2012

Hi Everone,I also tuned a Kimball spinet today probably the same age or not much newer.  The owner had it for 40 years, so maybe newer.  I noticed the lost motion was way out of whack. While tuning I figured out that the soft pedal was out of adjustment, hammer rest rail was too far forward.  I decided to check the soft pedal adjustment and when I took off the bottom panel, the problem, well most of it as it sure could use a regulation blubbering hammers a few etc.  Something I'm guessing the trap lever is rubbing against the bottom board when the board is reinstalled.  She said that she never uses that pedal but I'm one that believes everything should work like it should or at least try to make it work like it should.  I'm thinking I'll do one of two things the next time I visit this piano.  I'm thinking I can take the long bold and move it from it's original hole in the pedal to the one behind it.  Perhaps this will move the lever slightly so it won't grab the bottom board.  Or I could try sanding the board in the area where it's being rubbed. I can see a spot that's a little worn from whatever is rubbing. I doubt it's the bold and wing nut.  I also thought of sanding the lever. I did locate the missing nut that allows the screw to tighten into the pedal spring.  That did eleviate most of the wabble in the lever it'self, but it's still rubbing.  I think I'm on the right track with the first idea.  Any thoughts in case I'm missing anything?  Thanks, and I did tell her to call if she wanted me to come sooner to work on that pedal.  ThanksMarshall215-510-9400http://www.phillytuner.com