[pianotech] Yamaha Uprights

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 16:20:50 MST 2012

On 12/2/2012 4:32 PM, David Love wrote:
> I agree.  You don’t really want there to be a significant difference
>  between how the key feels when you play with or without the pedal.
> Too much tension in that spring or too early a pick up and when you
> play without engaging the pedal the action fights you too much.
>
> David Love
>
> www.davidlovepianos.com
>
> *From:*pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org]
> *On Behalf Of *Dale Erwin *Sent:* Sunday, December 02, 2012 2:02 PM
> *To:* pianotech at ptg.org *Subject:* Re: [pianotech] Yamaha Uprights
>
> My observation is that a damper spring, upright or grand, only needs
> enough tension/pressure to insure shut-off. Beyond that  we aren't
> depending on it to adjust touch weight. The damper resistance should
> be minimal.
>
> *Dale Erwin R.P.T. **/ /*----

Yep, I agree too. It just hasn't been necessary in my experience, to
weaken damper springs to fix double striking hammers and the dealer
wasn't interested in paying for such things anyway. It does occur to me
that there is one change I typically made. New Yamaha verticals always
came with the capstans high and the hammer shanks floating uniformly
above the rest rail. I'd shim the rail up to get minimal lost motion, so
I could pull the shims a few years later and just have to do the capstan
adjustments once. That would have introduced very slightly more lost
motion and might well have made a difference.

Ron N