[pianotech] Hammers - was Brighter Yamaha

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 08:02:45 MST 2012

Hi Joe
 I for one appreciate your words of praise for Ray enormously. Great product, personal service. We all know that to be true.

  The other hand I think the point Bills was making was the pendulum  has swung dramatically in favor of hammers that are more like non-linear felt springs they need to be instead of the petrified felt objects that have dominated the tonal landscape for the last 30 years.

   Hey Joe, FWIW...Yamaha and Kawai both respond well to Ronsen hammers. But as David L. is fond of saying and he's right... it depends on the belly stiffness.
   For Ronsen hammers the rule of thumb is that the stiffest hammer felt he uses is the Wurzen AA felt. So if you need to match a stiffer board go with these. A bit of light needling may need to be done. I installed these on a C-7 and a G-2 and I had to do a fair bit of easy needle work to get them down in the tenor /first capo. After that very little follow up. My C-7 client thanked me 3 times the first month for transforming the piano.

As an unbiased opinion: the Renner Blue points (Weickert felt) can also be a good choice Joe. Theses are quite different from the old Blues. They will need needle work but so far in my limited use of these...its a different ball game.  Way less needling
The Ronsen Weickert felt hammer is my favorite for many pianos and for my ear produce loads of tone color easily. Last month I installed a set of these in a A-3 Steinway some else had installed a new board in. Instant music and zero voicing. Client loves it. So easy and a beautiful result. A real money maker too

  The great thing as many of you guys and gals have mentioned is;.... there are many hammer choices these days,
  But..... only one guy making a hammer made in the old fashioned way, and that guys is in New York

 Quite a storm going on here today. Better check for leaks in the roof
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos