[pianotech] tight pressure bar screws

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 31 07:56:00 MDT 2012

On 8/31/2012 7:03 AM, Tom Driscoll wrote:
> Marshall,
>    Back top the future. A brace and bit will do the job . No electricity
> required.Just pick the screwdriver bit that fits the screw head . With
> this set up you can put your weight behind the tool and have both
> leverage and the ability to use an impact technique.
> Tom D.

A Hi-Torque, or coin slot bit will also do the job with a socket wrench
that most folks are more likely to have. I use these mostly with an air
impact wrench for removing and installing plate screws, but one of these
with a socket wrench works way better than a brace and bit - which I
also have used. I use #4 for smaller screws like the pressure bar screws
at issue here, and #5, with some light grinding modifications, on the
big screws.

http://www.apexdistributor.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=21

I've been told a drag link socket works too, but I know from long
experience the hi-torque does.

Marshall,
Lots of ways to go that will work, but the quick way with what you
already have is a tap with a hammer on the screw head, followed by a
Crescent wrench (for leverage) on a BIG flat blade screw driver.

Ron N