[pianotech] Teflon

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:01:54 MDT 2012

Joe,
I am not sure where you are finding your information on Teflon. As
long as you don't heat it (as in a fry pan) over 440 degrees F, it is
quite safe. Teflon is used extensively in medical implants because it
has bee shown to be completely non-reactive in the body.

As a pathologist, I have never seen or heard of any cases of
inhalation pneumonitis resulting from Teflon powder inhalation.

I did a Medline search just to see if there were any reports of
pneumonitis from the use or production of Teflon powder. I got zero
hits. Clearly, I am not recommending snorting Teflon powder, but in
normal daily use with reasonable care, it is safe.

The only hits on google are from this PTG forum. That is embarrassing.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Veterinary pathologist- retired

Message: 5