[pianotech] action ratio

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 21:18:18 MDT 2012

The problem, as far as the formula is concerned, is that the .040, .050,
.060 do not comport with the formula requirements (I assume the equality was
based on something).  And your point is suggestive of the fact that the bit
of key travel is not really the critical factor.  Rather, it is jack
clearance from some yet unknown starting point.  So aftertouch for the sake
of that formula may be something other than what we think of as it relates
to the thickness of the cardboard placed underneath the key.  That's the
main point of the question.

Regarding ideal specs and action ratios (let's put aside for the moment that
the method of determining the ratio is something of a debate), there is no
getting around the fact that a certain action ratio will tend to produce a
particular regulation or combination of dip and blow, all other things being
equal, i.e. let-off, aftertouch, jack position, knuckle diameter, capstan
angle perhaps.).  If your ideal is 45 mm with .390" dip  (or 9.9 mm to keep
the units the same), then you will only get that regulation with a
particularly action ratio.  You won't get that with 5.0 and you won't get
that with 6.5 unless you alter the let-off or the aftertouch and at both
extremes that is likely going to be detrimental.

Now I think that 9.9 mm dip, or let's just say 10 mm for ease here, and 45
mm of blow is a good target.  So my question is, in your experience, what
action ratio is most likely to produce that without any fudging and further,
what standard of cardboard punching thickness key travel are you using,
ideally anyway.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com