[pianotech] permanent marker

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 12:00:17 MDT 2012

On 8/25/2012 12:08 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:

> I have done it this way for many years, with no problems.  Recommended.  You
> might find it a useful adjunct to your process, Ron.

Hi Will,
I've had a can of steel wool wax in the paint cabinet since my first
year in business. Same can. I use it occasionally, but certainly not for
soundboard finishing. The final coat on my soundboards is plain old
semi-gloss lacquer, not rubbed out with anything, so I don't have a use
for wool wax there. I have about half a sleeve of 150 grit garnet paper,
and enough very nearly free FFF pumice to last me more years than I
likely have left, that produces something I'm quite satisfied with
without the need for more complexity, Scotch Brite pads or any sort of
liquid or goo on my soundboard as I level the first two coats. I've
managed to simplify the process to this point through the years, and
simple suits me as do the results in this case.

Ron N