[pianotech] permanent marker

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sat Aug 25 11:08:33 MDT 2012

For those interested in the pumice, here is a source:
http://www.woodshopproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Pumice

Mohawk makes it, so it is likely available from many sources.

I've been dry abrading my early coats of lacquer too, but somewhat
differently.  I use the 3M Scotch Brite abrasive pads for many purposes, one
of which is to level soundboard lacquer after spraying on finish.  I start
with the coarsest pad, the Maroon.  You can attach it to a pad sander just
as you would paper and use it that way.  I also staple it to a block of wood
that I have flattened and level finish that way.  I get into corners and
tight spots freehand with smaller pieces.  I knock off excessive powder with
a dust brush occasionally.  What I like about it is that it doesn't clog and
conforms to surfaces more readily than sandpaper.   I haven't tried it with
pumice, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work together well.

What I do after my final coat of finish is to use a material called Wool
Lube, also a Mohawk product.  Here is the product description, and that is
pretty much how I use it.

"Wool-Lube is a multi-purpose, water reducible, non-abrasive rubbing and
sanding lubricant. Wool-Lube is non-toxic and contains no silicones. Used
full strength or slightly reduced with water as a lubricant with steel wool
or abrasive pads for smoothing, removing packing marks and scratches from
finished surfaces. When reduced with water, Wool-Lube is an excellent
sanding lubricant for use with wet  dry sandpapers. Does not interfere with
the adhesion or drying of lacquer. Finishes rubbed with Wool-Lube and an
abrasive can be recoated immediately after being wiped dry. Can be used with
dry abrasive powders such as Pumice, Rottenstone, and Tripoli. Use of a
sanding lubricant greatly extends the life of waterproof sandpapers."

As it says, it does not contaminate the finish, so if you sand through, not
a problem.  I use a spray bottle to spritzer water onto the pad, but not
much.  I will refresh it while on the board if things start drying a tad too
much.  You can wipe it off with rags, which you can rinse out, wash, and use
again.  The finish comes out a nice, even satin glow, which is nicer looking
the duller dry look.  I use the grey pads (roughly equivalent to 0000 steel
wool) with the Wool -Lube. It is available from the same supplier as above,
and as a liquid or paste.  I prefer the liquid myself.  Wool lube can be
used with pumice or rottenstone.

I have done it this way for many years, with no problems.  Recommended.  You
might find it a useful adjunct to your process, Ron.

Will