[pianotech] permanent marker

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 07:57:33 MDT 2012

On 8/25/2012 1:29 AM, Rob McCall wrote:

> Much gas has been percolated and excreted. Thanks. I was originally
> picturing a block of pumice, hence the gust of wind from my ears.

Yea, I see the problem. That would be a tough vision to get enthusiastic
about. I might not be an exactly "off the shelf" sort of guy, but my
methods tend to be as simple, practical, and twit resistant as I can
make them - so I can make them.

> So where do you find the FFF pumice?

It's in the shop, just to the right of the door from the utility room,
on the green shelves. Oh, you mean...

Better Google it. Many years ago, I got an unlabeled jar of pumice, and
one of rotten stone from a tuner's estate with a bunch of other stuff I
wasn't sure what to do with. Long after that, I finally found a use for
the pumice for the key top thing, and scored a full one pound box of FFF
pumice at an estate sale since. So I never have actually bought any of
the stuff from a real source. If I was looking for some locally, I'd
start with industrial supply places, craft stores, art supply, and
paint, maybe a hardware store if you happen to have one of the very few
left in the country in your area. It's probably much more efficient in
time and money wasted to just Google some up and UPS it to your front porch.

Or you could stop anywhere along the Oregon coast, pull off the road a
few yards, dig down about a foot, and you'll find cubic miles of the
stuff. It's ungraded, but not too tricky to find.

Thump will tell you he heard it makes your legs drop off and ooze into a
corner emitting a green gas that dissolves Buicks or some such, but mine
has been quite well behaved for a long time. Just don't snort it.

Ron N