[pianotech] permanent marker

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Fri Aug 24 18:15:17 MDT 2012

Greetings,

My client has a Schafer & Sons VS-52 upright that they kept in a rental home.  When that rental didn't turn out well, the renters decided to damage the piano. They reached in through the top and broke off a bunch of hammers along the shank and twisted and broke a bunch of butt flanges in the process, as well. It's a schwander type action so they didn't break any of the hammer butts with the plates, but just the flanges. Most of this stuff is pretty straight forward.

However, they also took permanent marker and wrote on every single white keytop. I know someone had a fix for getting permanent marker off of the plastic keys. Any help would be appreciated.

Additionally, I'm trying to write up an estimate to clean the keys. If someone has experience with just how long it takes to get permanent marker off that would help, too. Or any methods using power tools to speed the process...  :-)

Thanks,

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC