[pianotech] couldn't get into a piano today

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 14:14:26 MDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
I tuned a Knabe console today, an old one with the lyer in front of the bottom panel.  I couldn't remove the top panel in order to tune it. Fortunately, I was able to tune it with the panel on as you can see in the picture but it was a tight fit.  I did find an l shape metal bracket that I've often seen on pianos with three screws one which screws into the side of the piano and theother two into the front panel.  Howver to access these screws was a different story.  I couldn't get my hand in there enough to get a good feel for how to even get the screw driver in there. It was an impossible fit.  the top left corner of the picture as you can see the piece above the key cover that I needed to remove, but the customer couldn't get her hands in there either and she had much smaller hands than me.  If I would have taken the bottom panel off, would there have been a way to reach that screw from dwon below or would the key bed be in the way.  I wanted to remove to give me better access to the strings and a key that was acting up.  So how do you guys bend your wrist upside down and try to get uder that front panel.  The screw is undereeth toward the back side of the key cover.  I literaly had to bend my wrist upside down to get a feel of the l shaped bracket, but how would I have gotten a screw driver in there.  This is the first piano I couldn't get into so far, but fortunately I was able to at least tune it, and that was a challenge believ me lol
Thanks
Marshall
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com