[pianotech] ivory keytop repair

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:20:00 MDT 2012

 Here are two more tips for using acrylikey.

For measuring the amounts of white and yellow powder, make a tiny
scoop by slicing a coffee stirrer straw at an angle about a !/4 inch
back from the end. You can make very accurate measurements with this
tiny scoop. It will give you reproducible results.

 You will also end up using very little of the powder and will run out
of monomer. What to do? Try using, as I do, CA glue of medium
viscosity and medium setting speed or even extra time variety if you
use the polyethylene dam technique. I found the cheap CA glue in small
tubes for 3 for a dollar worked very well. It does not smell as bad
and makes a very hard repair that can be filed and finished and
polished right away.

I forgot to say that  I do tape the dam to the end of the key and give
it 10 minutes to set before removing the dam. Sometimes a razor blade
can help to undercut the acrylic if it sticks somewhat to the
polyethylene dam. This can happen on large repairs.

I am now experimenting with using pure Titanium dioxide powder (used
in cosmetics and sold on ebay) for an extra-white powder for plastic
repairs. It is promising. Stay tuned.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc