[pianotech] WD40 on pinblock

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Aug 22 15:28:42 MDT 2012

Yesterday I visited a new client, a very nice family who have a 1912
Bechstein model 10 upright, straight strung.  A music student lodges
with the family during term time and they wanted the piano ready for him
coming back.  There had been another tuner some months ago.

What, I mused aloud upon taking off the top panel, was the strange
discoloration on the surface of the pinblock?  I was then told that the
previous tuner had used WD40, applying it to the tuning pin coils in
case of any rust bonds.

My inclination would be to keep WD40 or any similar lubricant a mile
away from tuning pins.  But hey, whadda I know? Perhaps this other guy
is more up-to-date than I?

What do you think folks?  How "creepy" is WD40? Quite creepy, I think,
judging by how it's crept all over and into the surface of the pinblock.
And judging by how oily my fingers came to feel just from slight contact
as I lifted the tuning lever from pin to pin.

How badly is it likely to have crept down the tuning pins into the
holes?  The pins felt a little loose but not outrageously oleaginously
so.  Would CA treatment work, with WD40 present?

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk