[pianotech] ivory keytop repair

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 13:26:07 MDT 2012

Hi, Wim
I've done some ivory repair with Acrylikey.  Works well, smelly fumes tho.  What do you need to know?
I have a few things I can say about the procedure.  I use a magnifier so I can really see.  I use a razor blade to bevel all the edges.  I use the supplied dropper to put the liquid in the cup and add the powder to it until it gets thick, but not too thick.  The liquid flashes off quickly, so I start it off a little wet, and as I dab it on the ivory it gets thicker.  You can also put some tape over the front to prevent it dripping down.  When the plastic gets solidified, but before fully hard, use a razor blade to trim it.  Much easier than sanding a bunch off.  If you have voids or pockets, just mix some more and dab it on.  Let it sit while you do the next one.  I don't try to mix too much at one time.  New batch for each key.  Tedious, but it works.  When the plastic is fully hard, use the nail files to sand down and finish.  You can also buff the keys after, but be careful.
Good luck.
Paul McCLoud
San Diego