[pianotech] Young Chang U111 eval

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Mon Aug 13 14:17:25 MDT 2012

I just tried to post these photos with some questions on the my.ptg forum.
I got the photos up just fine, but there's no obvious way to attach them to
a post, so I deleted them. Rrrrrrrr....

Anyhow, I went to evaluate this Young Chang U111 (serial number 0033580 =
1982 mfg) today. My customer is considering purchasing it.

The case is rough. The front edge of the top lid is black-painted exposed
plywood, and the tops of the arms (sorry, no photos) are similarly hideous.
The fifth photo (417) is the underside of the top lid folded back.

The current sellers purchased the piano in this condition about 8 years
ago, and their three children all learned to play on it. It has not been
tuned for approximately three years. It is uniformly about 80¢ flat. The
hammers clearly need shaping, which I think (?) may bring up the tone in
general... currently it's rather mellow, and there are a handful of notes
that are more mellow than the others.

As you can see in the third and fourth photos (412 and 414) there's a stain
on each damper block, as well as many of the damper felts.

I think the cause of this is pretty evident, but I'd like reactions from
the list as to the cause, as well as any effect I should expect further
down the road... keeping in mind that it's served the current family
reasonably well for eight years.  Oh, and the price is right.

Point of curiosity... in my second photo (411), you can see that the top
edges of some hammers are chamfered. Any rationale why only some would get
this treatment and not all?

Thanks much
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN