[pianotech] return spring

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Aug 18 09:43:14 MDT 2012

I don't mean to sound like a Luddite here , but my example went like
this. :

"Tom the unacorda pedal is too hard to depress. "

I called Kent at steinway and he advised to straighten the spring out
with a hammer as I descibed earlier in this thread.
After a couple of judicious whacks the spring was reinstalled :

  " Tom ,that's great. much easier to depress"

This was in the context of a full regulation on this "B" so yes the bed
,frame , spring  etc down to the pedal had been cleaned-lubed.
As mentioned this was several years ago and  it has been a stable
"adjustment"
If the dang thing broke ,to keep the piano going I would have installed
one of the halves  somehow or went to the hardware store and stuck a
coil spring between the inside of the case and the frame and ordered
replacement(s) from one of the supply houses,
Come to think about it I've seen return springs with just one "wing "
which would obviously  reduce the resistance at the pedal. Permanent fix
? Maybe , maybe not but
as I tell a new technician I've been working with:    " Just find a way "
Respectfully ,
  Tom Driscoll