[pianotech] return spring

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:33:49 MDT 2012

This past year I broke one of those springs in an old Steinway trying to
weaken it with just my hands (I guess I don't know my own strength!<G>) The
good news was there was still enough of the spring's screw holes left where
I could attach half the spring to the piano and it worked just right! Since
then I bought a couple of replacements and will put one in next time I see
the piano.

Here's is a couple of pictures that Kent Webb from Steinway sent me of the
factory tool for this purpose. I put the pictures up on my website:
http://pianova.net/media2/shiftspringtool.jpg
http://pianova.net/media2/shiftspringtooldetail.jpg

Ryan Sowers

--